There comes a time in the life of every entrepreneur when a sale was lost, a product flopped, or you’re simply discontent for no reason.
Failures and occasional ennui are both a part of the landscape as an independent business owner, but they’re still discouraging. Instead of replaying the series of events that led to misfortune or losing sight of your purpose, it’s healthier (and more productive) to extract valuable lessons from bad experiences and remember the reasons you set out on this adventure of the first place.
That’s why we put together the list of business quotes below. Let them inspire you to forge ahead with whatever business venture you’ve built and remind you why you started.
1. “I knew that if I failed I wouldn’t regret that, but I knew the one thing I might regret is not trying.” -Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO Amazon
2. “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing and falling over.” – Richard Branson, founder Virgin Group
3. “It’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen.” – Scott Belsky, co-founder Behance
4. “Fearlessness is like a muscle. I know from my own life that the more I exercise it the more natural it becomes to not let my fears run me.” – Arianna Huffington, president and editor in chief The Huffington Post Media Group
5. “High expectations are the key to everything.” – Sam Walton, founder Walmart
6. “If you’re passionate about something and you work hard, then I think you will be successful.” – Pierre Omidyar, founder and chairman eBay
7. “Whatever it is you’re scared of, do it.” – Neil Gaiman
8. “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” -Dale Carnegie
9. “Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement.” – Matt Biondi
10. “The beginning is the most important part of the work.” -Plato
11. “With self discipline almost anything is possible.” -Theodore Roosevelt
12. “Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.” -Babe Ruth
13. “Just because people are doing extraordinary things doesn’t mean they’re not ordinary people.” -Laird Hamilton
14. “Don’t find fault. Find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
15. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life, and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing that I wanted to do.” -Georgia O’Keeffe
16. “Prosperity is a great teacher. Adversity, a greater.” -William Hazlitt
17. “It takes as much stress to be a success as it does to be a failure.” -Emilio James Trujillo
18. “You must either modify your dreams or magnify your skills.” -Jim Rohn
19. “If you don’t have integrity, you have nothing. You can’t buy it. You can have all the money in the world, but if you are not a moral and ethical person, you really have nothing.” -Henry Kravis
20. “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” -Colin Powell
And finally, in the words of Zig Ziglar, “People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing, that's why we recommend it daily.” Take time to motivate yourself on a regular basis and you’ll hold on to the passion, perseverance, and productivity that inspired you to get into business to begin with.
About the Author: Jeff Reinstein is the Chief Executive Office of Premier Business Centers. He has helped the company grow from 9 center locations to more than 70 since he first joined the team in 2002.